At Their Best:
Confident, direct, courageous, determined, generous, and protective of their loved ones.
Aggressive, confrontational, domineering, insensitive, lustful, and prone to excess.
What Type Eights say about themselves:
- I am strong-willed and do not give up or back down easily.
- I am assertive and have no problem giving direction to others.
- I don’t have much sympathy for weakness.
- I am self-reliant and don’t want to depend on others to meet my needs.
- I am a straight-talker, no sugar-coating. I say the things other people wish they could say.
- It’s completely natural to express frustration or anger when you feel it.
- No one can control me; I make sure of that.
- I have a lot of energy to push forward and make things happen.
- I stand up for myself and for the people in my circle.
- I have a tender/soft side, but I’m careful who I show it to.
We each feel that we must show up in a certain way in the world in order to deserve love.
These are internal messages that resonate with Eights:
BASIC FEAR: Of being harmed or controlled by others.
BASIC DESIRE: To protect themselves (to be in control of their own life and destiny).
BASIC PROPOSITION: “You gain protection and respect by becoming strong and powerful, imposing your personal truth and hiding your vulnerability.”
AVOIDANCE: Vulnerability, weakness, or being controlled by others.
FOCUS of ATTENTION: Injustice, power & control (not being controlled by others), getting things moving in work or play.
- Positive aspect: The ability to be decisive and direct with others.
- Negative aspect: The tendency to overlook others’ feelings or lack some empathy in the desire to “keep things moving”.
Strategies For Growth:
- Observe your habit of mind or focus of attention with as little judgment as possible. Ask yourself, when do I just go for what I want without thinking? In what ways do I assert control or power over others? Remind yourself that true strength includes the ability to slow down and to have empathy for others’ feelings/opinions.
- Remember that the world is not against you. Many people are happy to give you their love, support, and loyalty, if you will soften a bit and let them in. Practice accepting affection and tender moments from others.