At Their Best:
Perceptive, responsible, loyal, compassionate, strategic, and courageous.
Hypervigilant, indecisive, defensive, self-defeating, pessimistic, and paranoid.
What Type Sixes say about themselves:
- I seem to be more aware of danger or potential problems than other people are.
- I am often on the lookout for ulterior motives or hidden intentions in others.
- I may not always agree with or follow the rules, but I certainly want to know what they are!
- I seek reputable authority figures & structures, but can remain distrustful at the same time.
- I am doggedly faithful to the people and things that deserve my trust.
- Before I act, I often seek other opinions or external sources.
- I can have a tendency to focus on what might go wrong with the things I want to do.
- I ask a lot of questions because I care deeply about seeking out the TRUTH.
- I often go back and forth when trying to make a decision.
- I’m complex; it’s impossible to pin me down and “put me in a box.”
We each feel that we must show up in a certain way in the world in order to deserve love.
These are internal messages that resonate with Sixes:
BASIC FEAR: Of being without support and guidance.
BASIC DESIRE: To have security and support.
BASIC PROPOSITION: “You can assure life and certainty by avoiding harm (the phobic stance) or facing it (the counter-phobic stance) through vigilance, questioning, and either battling or escaping perceived hazards.”
AVOIDANCE: Uncertainty or rejection
FOCUS of ATTENTION: What could go wrong, worst-case scenarios and how to deal with them.
- Positive aspect: The ability to quickly spot potential problems and troubleshoot with innovative solutions.
- Negative aspect: The tendency to get caught up in overly-negative worst-case-scenario thinking.
Strategies For Growth:
- Observe your habit of mind or focus of attention with as little judgment as possible. Ask yourself, how do I question and doubt in my internal dialogue? How am I magnifying situations in my head? Remind yourself that you have the ability to trust yourself and make good decisions for your own self.
- It can be scary to trust others, but work on becoming more trusting. Find at least 1-2 people that you allow yourself to get close to. This will mean risking rejection, but the risk is worth taking.